I’m terribly sorry I haven’t been writing much lately. Unfortunately I’ve been so busy with school and other things that I have barely had time to write. Anyway, I’ve decided that sometimes I will write two topics and sometimes I’ll only write one, because writing two every week is getting a little cumbersome for my schedule. So, this week I will only have one.
Also, when you open a tab to my blog, have you ever noticed the small picture that comes up on the tab? It sort of looks like a black square with a green circle in it. Have you ever wondered what that picture was? Do you want to see more like it? Do you want to hear more of my writing, some from my books and some from my secret journals? Well, I have started a new photo blog called “Standstill Photos”. Over the past year I have been creating photos like this out of plain pictures and editing them on my not-so-smart smartphone. the amazing thing about it is that it creates the most amazing photo edits. If you would like to see these photos and read my writing, go to standstillphotos.wordpress.com. Now, on to the topic.
It’s The End of the World as we Know it (You see what I did there?)
December 21st is a very important day. Here are some reasons.
1. It’s the Winter Solstice (very important holiday for me).
2. It’s the last day of school before Winter Break (which is awesome).
3. It’s 4 days before Christmas (very important holiday for lots of people, including me too).
And that’s pretty much it. no wait, I forgot something.
4. It’s the day planet Earth is supposed to reach its untimely end.
Yes, we all know what’s coming. Sadly, the Mayans have decided that the world can not go one any longer, so they have decided to destroy it in the middle of all our Christmas shopping and planning and partying, which is really bad timing. They could have done it after Christmas when we were all done being busy, but no. It has to be the shortest day of the year, so we might as well skip all our Christmas plans and put paper bags over our heads or buy tons of guns to be safe from the zombie apocalypse.
I really hope that you can tell I’m being sarcastic right now.
If not, then I will say truthfully that I do not believe that the world is going to end. Many things have tried to persuade me; a movie, a website, I even saw a commercial for a car dealership that was having an “end of the world” sale. I just have one question for all of you people. Why must we go crazy over an old piece of stone? I know that the Mayans were very great astronomers, maybe even better than us. I knew that bad things have been happening lately, but we cannot blame these problems on a radical idea that the world as we no it is going to end.
in fact, here are my reasons that it is not going to end.
1. If you go to the website http://www.december212012.com, you are immediately thrown millions of articles on what is being done to save people from the world ending. It includes videos, predictions, and a store where you can buy supplies such as gas masks and food. I’m sorry to say this, but can people just grow up? This comes to my first reason, which is this. I am pretty sure that the world is going to be more likely destroyed by mankind’s insanity rather than a calender. There was a happy time long ago when no one had heard the world was going to end. We were just living our happy lives and worrying about nothing but the next day. That was when the movie happened, and the documentaries, and the websites, and the books, and everything else that happened. It amazes me how in this world, we can go crazy over supernatural ideas and try to stop them from happening, yet we take no action to stop what we are doing to destroy the Earth right now. Animals are becoming extinct; countries are at war; people are dying of disease; the air is filling up with dangerous chemicals, and while that is happening we are spending our time and money building end-of-world shelters. If the world is going to end, let it end, because I think that the stupidity that we have thought to become fact is much more dangerous than any prediction. Because of what we have done, I bet that someone somewhere is going to get the stupid idea to plan a terrorist attack or something else on that day. And that is entirely our fault.
2. I have recently read the interview about this topic on the NASA website (to see the full interview go to www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html) and I am very proud that some people in this world still know what they are talking about. Do any people think that the world is going to end because the planet Nibiru is supposed to hit earth? NASA scientists say, “This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012 and linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar…”
Well, what about the Mayan calender, you ask? “Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then — just as your calendar begins again on January 1 — another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.”
This is my favorite answer. “For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact. There is no credible evidence for any of the assertions made in support of unusual events taking place in December 2012.”
3. I am sorry to say that someday the world will end. Someday the sun will become too old and burn out and Earth will be burned out with it. Today, the sun is in the middle of its life; it will die in 5 billion years. So if I scared you in the beginning, don’t worry! We have 5 billion more years to party and then we cans tart worrying about it. Honestly guys, read the facts.
And I think I’ve covered all I need to cover here. Oh wait sorry; I forgot one more thing.
4. Think about it; the world has been predicted to end so many times it pretty much second-nature to us now. And every time someone has predicted it, it has been wrong. I’m still wondering why people haven’t just been happy about it instead of creating another day to worry about. Humans are an unperfect species. We do not know everything that there is to know. We will never know. No matter how many religions we believe in, how many predictions we make, how many things we read, we will never be right. The people who made the Jetsons TV show thought that the events in the show would take place in 2001, and they made the show not long before. If they were that wrong, how could a civilization from thousands of years ago be even closer? I could be wrong though. For all I know the world could be about to end and all the NASA people have read their computers wrong, but I believe that the world will not end because the way I see it, there is more believable evidence that it will not end than it will. This is not the first time this has happened. The world was supposed to have ended 100 other times before, and until the true day happens I will be sitting at my desk and writing this blog for you.
So do whatever you want. Spend your money; throw your computer out the window and curse my words, write terrible comments about how I am wrong; if that’s what you want to do then do it. I won’t care. I’ll be sitting here on December 22nd laughing. I’m not perfect either.
Click back next week for more topics from a real girl’s thoughts, where no name comes between what’s in your head and what’s out of it.